Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

I'm not the kind of person to keep up with the latest fashions or follow celebrity gossip. I don't care what so-and-so was wearing to whatever party and I really don't care what so-and-so decided to name their baby or that so-and-so got a tatoo in such-and-such unspeakable place.

In keeping with that opinion, I have hardly taken a second-glance at any of the to-do over the royal wedding the last few months. Weddings are wonderful--I LOVE weddings--but I have better things to do with my life than endlessly speculate over what Kate was going to wear and who was invited and where they would sit and what the cake would look like.

Of course, as the day approached, the romantic in me was drawn in a little. I couldn't help it. I grew up reading fairy-tales and playing princesses. I might even still do it, once in a while. So the idea of a beautiful "commoner" marrying a handsome prince caught my imagination, even if today "prince" is little more than a title and he's certainly not a handsome one.

So I clicked on an article and looked at some pictures.

I quickly became border-line obssessed with the whole affair. Not because of the romance, the mysterious details, the pomp and British tradition, or even all those royal guards in funny hats.

It was Kate.

You're all going to think I'm crazy, but I took one look at her and felt like I knew her. Like we had been best friends growing up but had drifted apart and now I was seeing her get married and wishing her well and all that stuff you do for old friends.

I know. I'm crazy.

Maybe it's just because she has that girl-next-door down-to-earth look. Or maybe I just feel like I can relate to her as she lives out my childhood fairy-tale fantasy of becoming a princess. Or maybe we really did know each other in the pre-mortal life. Maybe?

*Crickets chirping*

Whatever the reason, I got sucked in and read all about the wedding because of it. And I started wondering, looking at pictures of Kate's smiling face, what she was really thinking about all of this. She really is perfect princess-material; in every picture she's so elegant, so together, so calm. But I'm dying to know what's behind the surface, the real honest-to-goodness feelings that she would never tell an interviewer because now that she's a princess she has to do everything just right. Is she excited? Is she scared? Does she really love Prince William? Does she wish her life were normal again?

I wish we really were friends so she could confide in me everything she's really feeling.

I know. I'm crazy.

No, I did not get up at three o'clock this morning to watch the wedding. I'm not that obsessed.

However, I did glance through some pictures of it this morning, and I had one question answered.

She really does love Prince William. You don't look at someone like this unless you are really, truly in love.


I wish you nothing but happiness, Kate. Great choice on the wedding gown. And your new husband looks quite dashing in his red coat, even if he does have horse teeth. Enjoy married life! It's the best.

BFF,
The Brown-Eyed Girl

No comments: