Monday, January 9, 2012

Like Mother, Like Son

When I got Sultan for my thirteenth birthday, it was a dream come true. I spent my days spoiling him with carrot cakes and sugar cubes, galloping through dusty fields, and exploring new trails. I gave my nieces and nephews rides on his back and fitted him with his very own Santa hat to wear on Christmas. I knew one day I would have to leave him when I went off to college, but I promised to never ever sell him.

I never dreamed that one day my own son would be riding him:


I tried putting Baby Brown Eyes on Sultan's back a few months ago, and he freaked out. I worried that he wasn't going to want anything to do with the horses until he got older. But sometime between then and now, his inner cowboy must have taken over and supressed his fear. Now, when I swing up onto Sultan's back, Baby Brown Eyes gets all excited and holds out his arms for me to lift him up, too. He squeals and jabbers as we ride down the road, rocking back and forth with Sultan's motion.


Good thing nothing fazes ol' Sultan anymore.

Proud of my little cowboy,
The Brown-Eyed Girl

No comments: