Thursday, February 3, 2011

Nerds

I just finished reading The Hunger Games series. To say I devoured them (no pun intended) is an understatement. I snagged every second when Baby Brown Eyes was happily playing or sleeping on my chest to read, even if it was just a paragraph. I had to know what happened next! Wow. There were times I wanted to throw the books on the ground, when a twist in the plot ripped out my heart, but...wow. They are the kind of books that stick in your mind for days. I really liked them. They kick Twilight's butt a million times over.

Mr. Brown Eyes is also reading The Hunger Games. Mr. Brown Eyes was not much of a reader before he met me, but I introduced him to the thrill of a good book by encouraging him to read Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and he's been hooked ever since. Blames me for the fact that he hated the Percy Jackson movie because it was nothing like the book. Right now he's loving The Hunger Games. And I love being able to talk all literary with him like a couple of nerds. Except for the last few days our conversations have gone something like this:

Me: From a guy's perspective, who do you like better, Peeta or Gale?
Mr.: Gale hasn't been in it enough for me to make a judgment on him.
Me: Oh, right. You'll see more of him in the second book. And then...well I wait until you read that part.

Mr.: I really like the part where Katniss blows up the food supply.
Me: Me too! Just wait until...oh, you haven't gotten to that part yet.

Mr: I think Peeta's a little too good.
Me: Just wait until...ugh, you need to finish the books so we can talk about them!

I wonder if he thinks I'm annoying yet.
I was actually talking to Mr. Brown Eyes on the phone the other day and was getting frustrated that his only responses to every topic I introduced were, "Yeah," "Uh-huh," or silence. Finally I burst, "You're reading the book right now, aren't you?"

He laughed. "Yes."

That's what I get for turning him into a reader.

Here's to another evening spent side by side on the couch, reading.

Proud to be a nerd,
The Brown-Eyed Girl

No comments: