Monday, June 6, 2016

Sisters

As the sixth of six sisters, I know how much sisterhood can suck.
 
Like how you can cry for hours in your room after dropping your sister off at the airport. Or how you can feel like punching her when she says something hurtful--but probably true--about you. How she can ruin your life by telling you Santa Claus isn't real when you're only five years old.
 
How you can feel like you've lost her forever when she makes friends who are way cooler than you are.
 
And yet, years later, you're still her friend and the others are long gone.
 
 
Isn't that what sisterhood is? A friendship that can't be broken by miles or change or upheaval. A friendship bound not only by love and affection, but also by family and blood.  While other friends have come and gone, I have always had my sisters. And I am forever grateful for that.
 
Now that I have two girls, I hope they discover the joy--and annoyance--of sisterhood the way I did.

 
Right now their relationship is pretty simple: Blue Eyed Girl loves Brown-Eyed Baby with all her little three year-old heart. She gives her kisses and hugs. She sings to her and tries to give her her pacifier when she's crying.

She also hits her with toys and lands on her face while doing somersaults. It's what sisters do.
 

I hope in years to come that they play dress-up together, collect My Little Ponies, and make mud pies outside. I hope they share clothes, get their ears pierced together, and stay up late talking in their room until I have to come in and shush them. I hope they cry when they're apart and laugh until their sides ache when they're together.

I hope they grow up and take longs walks together, talking about life and boys and the women they want to become, sometimes getting caught in the rain and running to a neighbor's house for refuge. I hope they take road trips together and pass the time by making up ridiculous stories.

I hope they are bridesmaids in each other's weddings. I hope, if they are ever pregnant at the same time, that they do not rip each other's heads off and fight over maternity clothes. But if they do, I hope they whisper sincere apologies and go on to snuggle each other's babies close to their hearts just hours after they're born.

 
Sisterhood can suck. But it is so awesome.
 
My Sisters are the Best,
The Brown-Eyed Girl

No comments: