This is one of our favorite fall meals. Or summer meals. Or any time of year meals.
Although after making a huge pot of chili for our ward Halloween party and hardly any of it getting eaten, we've been a bit overwhelmed with beans lately.
Which, if you know my husband, is a very, very dangerous thing.
So, we probably don't have plans to make this dish in the very near future. But it's scrumptious, full of flavor, and perfect with a side of cornbread.
We sometimes add pork because Mr. Brown Eyes is a voracious carnivore, but it's also delicious meatless.
And feel free to switch up the beans however you like. I think I've used a different combination every time I've made it. Just as long as you add five cans of beans.
As an added plus, this is possibly one of the easiest meals known to man. Chopping up the onions and peppers probably takes the most time. Then you just throw everything into the slow cooker and you're done!
Just, you know, beware the beans.
Slow Cooked Beans
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 med green pepper, chopped
- 1 med sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 1/4 oz) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 1/4 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 1/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
Beans, beans, the magical fruit,
The Brown-Eyed Girl